Geoff Crewdson joined Keighley aged 17 in December 1955 from Leeds Intermediates and made his ‘A’ team debut the following week against Batley showing excellent promise. He made his first team debut later that season. The following season, first at loose forward then in the second row, he had an extended first team run scoring his first try for Keighley, “after a magnificent 50 yard dash”. Unfortunately, like many of his colleagues in that era, his playing career was interrupted by the demands of National Service and Geoff joined the Royal Artillery. He did manage to make the occasional appearance for Keighley during this time and upon demob he returned to Lawkholme and pressed for first team consideration once again. Eric Lund wrote at the time, “Crewdson has improved the forward line….he is an 80 minute player”. An injury at Castleford cost Geoff his first team place to Jack Holmes which he struggled to regain despite turning in top performances in the ‘A’ team. Other clubs began to take an interest in Geoff but then he forced his way back into the first team playing in the narrow Yorkshire Cup semi-final defeat against Wakefield Trinity. The next season Geoff again lost his first team place but through determination and hard work bounced back the following year missing only two games. With Geoff part of a formidable pack Keighley gained promotion to Division One. That season in the big league was not a happy one. Geoff was dismissed for the first time in his career and the following season he broke his arm, struggling to regain fitness again. Unhappy with his stay at Lawkholme Geoff requested a transfer, the asking price a bargain £3,000. Geoff remained at Keighley however and the appointment of Harry Street as coach transformed the club with Crewdson, now at 17 stones, playing a big part in the club’s revival, this time at prop. County honours followed and eventually selection for the Great Britain touring party of Australia in 1966 going on to play in 13 tour games. Geoff played the last of his 288 games for Keighley in 1968 and then in a player exchange went to Hunslet for a short spell.